AKWESASNE REVIEW COMMISSION TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR JUSTICE TRAINING
The Akwesasne Review Commission will be holding a training session for community members who are serious in being a Justice of the Peace in accordance with the Akwesasne Court Law. The Akwesasne Court Justice Training will start in March of 2021. Interested applicants are required to complete a Justice Training Application Package available at the Akwesasne Justice Department.
To qualify for the Akwesasne Court Justice Training you must certify and provide a declaration you meet the following requirements:
• be an enrolled member of a First Nation or of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy;
• be twenty-five (25) years of age or older;
• have good character, credibility and reputation in the community;
• have an adequate combination of education, work and life experience and possess an interest in the settling of disputes;
• have knowledge of Mohawk cultures and traditions;
• not be an elected member any political body within the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne or the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council or a representative under the Mohawk Nation Council of Chiefs;
• not be an employee of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne;
• not be a member of any board, commission or tribunal under MCA;
• not been convicted of;
• an offense under the Akwesasne Banishment Law, the Akwesasne Drug Law, or an Akwesasne Law related to the environment;
• an indictable offense in Canada, except for those indictable offenses pertaining to preservation of community or native rights; or
• felony in the United States, except for those indictable offenses pertaining to preservation of community or native rights
• must be considered “In Good Standing” with the Akwesasne Good Standing Policy.
Applicants must clearly state why you would like to be a Justice in accordance with the Akwesasne Court Law.
Applicants will be screened before being approved.
Deadline to submit an application is Friday, February 26, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
If you have any questions regarding this community notice or to obtain an Akwesasne Court Justice Training Application Package please contact:
Akwesasne Justice Department
Attn.: Rosebud Cook on behalf of the Akwesasne Review Commission
P.O. Box 90
Akwesasne, QC H0M 1A1
613-575-2250 ext. 2414